CaitlinAnnC

Turning Page Books

Book blog here. Book Twitter here.

Moll Flanders
Daniel Defoe, Paul A. Scanlon

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (The Chronicles of Narnia, Book 1)

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (The Chronicles of Narnia, #2) - C.S. Lewis, Pauline Baynes Read my full review here.

I was assigned to read this book for a class at school and I was so excited. Let me preface this by saying that I have not read the first book in the “The Chronicles of Narnia” series.

This book is a pleasant read. It’s quite light - despite some of the darker tones which are laced throughout - and has lovely little descriptions.

The narrative is one of the aspects of this book that is really quite nice. The dedication letter to his Goddaughter, Lucy, obviously defines how the story is told. The story is written as though he is verbally telling the story to her. As well, the descriptions blossom as the book goes on: they were short at first but increasingly become more elaborate.

I interpreted that there is a religious meaning or allusion carried throughout the book (Aslan sacrifices himself to save Edmund from punishment for his betrayal and then rises from the dead). I might be reading into it too much but this is what I recognized increasingly as I went along. The overarching meaning or moral for me was to have faith.

There were a few irksome things which stood out to me. Lewis tends to repeat phrases - sometimes two pages in a row - in the first few chapters. It was actually sort of off-putting though I understand he was trying to warn his Goddaughter not to go into wardrobes and close the door, for example . As well, sometimes the narrator's intervening was a little bit annoying only because I already understood what was happening and didn’t need it explained but, again, I understand why Lewis includes these. Another issue I found is that many of the characters say exactly what they are thinking. For instance, the White Witch says out loud that humans in Narnia is a problem for her but that she can easily get rid of them. I didn’t sit quite right with me that she said this out loud but is devious and mysterious otherwise.

Overall, the story was a lovely read and it was well-written. I enjoyed the plot and could interpret a deeper meaning which made this story more than a simple children’s book.